Andre 3000’s Jimi Hendrix biopic will go ahead
By CMU Editorial | Published on Monday 14 May 2012
That twice previously reported Jimi Hendrix biopic – ie the one starring Outkast MC Andre 3000 – is definitely being made, despite speculation that the Hendrix Estate was opposed to the project. Said Estate confirmed it was not involved in any biopic last week, adding that that would stop any unapproved project from using the legendary guitarist’s music, which the Estate controls.
But director John Ridley, who has already cast part-time actor Andre Benjamin to the lead role, says he will begin filming his Hendrix movie in Ireland later this month, deriving part of his original screenplay from archived live and interview footage.
A statement from Hendrix’s estate – which doesn’t rule out the potential for a Hendrix-scored Hendrix film in the future – says: “Experience Hendrix CEO Janie Hendrix, sister of Jimi Hendrix, and the EH board have not ruled out a ‘biopic’ in the future. Though producing partners would, out of necessity, have to involve the company from the inception of any such film project if it is to include original Jimi Hendrix music or compositions”.