Anthrax’s Scott Ian pulls out of upcoming shows
By CMU Editorial | Published on Friday 18 March 2011
Anthrax guitarist Scott Ian has announced that he will not perform with the band at their upcoming shows on the Sonisphere touring festival, meaning he will be missing when the Big Four of thrash metal – Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth – play on the same bill in the UK for the first time ever. Instead, he will be replaced by Sepultura’s Andreas Kisser.
In a statement, Ian told fans: “I won’t be playing the shows scheduled from 2-16 Jul in Europe and the UK. My wife Pearl and I are expecting our first child and she is due literally the day of the Big Four Sonisphere show in France. This decision to miss these shows was a deeply personal one. Becoming a father is the biggest, best thing that’s ever happened to me, and it made the decision relatively easy. My priority is with my wife and the birth of our first child”.
On the choice of replacement, he said: “We chose Andreas because we feel he can do the gig better than anyone. He has the fire, the attitude, and the crushing right hand to do the gig. I’ve played with Andreas and we are kindred spirits. We both play every show like we’re going to jail the next day, like it’s the last show we’ll ever play. He has what it takes and he has the experience and history to fucking bring it and make these Anthrax shows something special. I can’t wait to see and hear it for myself!”
As previously reported, the shows will also be the band’s first with vocalist Joey Belladonna since 2007.