Grinderman drummer comments on split
By CMU Editorial | Published on Monday 19 December 2011
Grinderman drummer Jim Scalvunos has spoken to FasterLouder about the band’s recent announcement at Australia’s Meredith Music Festival that they are splitting up (as much as four men who still play together in another band can split up).
As previously reported, at the end of the band’s set frontman Nick Cave said: “That’s it for Grinderman. It’s over. See you all in another ten years when we’ll be even older and uglier”.
Asked if Cave’s announcement was a surprise, Sclavunos said: “No, not at all. I knew months in advance that it was going to be our last show as Grinderman. Was there any looking back? No, because the very next day I was going into the studio and start production on a new band’s [Teenage Mother’s] album. What happened at Meredith was more a bye-bye than an announcement. An announcement would be like a press release, but who knows what will happen in five or ten years time. My crystal ball is a bit low on batteries at the moment so I can’t predict what the future of Grinderman is – if there is a future”.
He added that there were now plans for another stint of activity with Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, which possibly means we can look forward to the follow-up to 2008’s ‘Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!’ album. Read more of Sclavunos’ comments here.