Lostprophets frontman accused of conspiring to rape one year old girl
By CMU Editorial | Published on Thursday 20 December 2012
Lostprophets frontman Ian Watkins was refused bail and remanded in custody yesterday after appearing at Cardiff Magistrates’ Court to face those previously reported child abuse charges, which, it was revealed, include the allegation he conspired to rape a one year old girl.
As previously reported, Watkins’ identity was made public by police ahead of his court appearance yesterday morning “in order to assist their investigation”. Media were initially told that the musician had been charged with conspiracy to engage in sexual activity with a female under thirteen and the possession/distribution of indecent images of children. Though the court itself was told that Watkins is specifically accused of conspiring to rape a one-year-old girl, as well as conspiring to engage in sexual touching with two young children, possessing, making and distributing indecent images, and possessing “extreme” animal pornography.
All the alleged crimes are said to have taken place between May this year and Monday this week, which is when Watkins was arrested. A 24 year old woman also stands accused of the same, while a 20 year old woman is accused of five of the same charges, though not conspiracy to rape.
The senior officer investigating the case, Detective Inspector Peter Doyle, said in a statement: “I want to encourage anyone who has any concerns or information which they think may be relevant to contact us. Safeguarding children involved in such cases is always a high priority and as such measures have already been taken”.
Watkins’ lawyer has said that the singer will deny all the charges made against him. He and the two women will now appear before Cardiff Crown Court on 31 Dec, and in the meantime the singer will be held in custody over Christmas after being refused bail.
Having announced on Monday that upcoming tour dates in Russia and Japan were being cancelled due to an “illness in the family”, the rest of Lostprophets issued a short statement on their official website yesterday expressing shock at this week’s events. The statement reads: “Following charges made today against Ian Watkins, we find ourselves in a state of shock. We are learning about the details of the investigation along with you. It is a difficult time for us and our families, and we want to thank our fans for their support as we seek answers”.