The UK music charts are 60 years old next month, and to celebrate the Official Charts Company has provided us with a list of the ten best selling female acts in British chart history (based on single sales). Madonna leads by quite a margin, though a much younger pop lady, Ms Robyn Rihanna Fenty, comes in second, and could, the OCC reckons, overtake Madge in a couple of years time.
Here’s the list (based on total UK single sales as of this weekend as listed by OCC below, with best selling single to date in brackets)…
1. Madonna – 17.8m (Into The Groove)
2. Rihanna - 11.4m (We Found Love)
3. Kylie Minogue - 10.2m (Can’t Get You Out Of My Head)
4. Whitney Houston - 8.5m (I Will Always Love You)
5. Lady Gaga – 7.329m (Poker Face)
6. Britney Spears – 7.324m (Baby One More Time)
7. Beyonce – 6.9m (If I Were A Boy)
8. Celine Dion – 6.7m (My Heart Will Go On)
9. Mariah Carey – 6.62m (All I Want For Xmas Is You)
10. Olivia Newton John – 6.61m (You’re The One That I Want)
NOTE: This story amended at 3pm on 29 Oct to correct some errors.