Monday 8 August 2011, 11:13 | By

Paul McCartney to speak to police over phone hacking

Media

Psaul McCartney

Paul McCartney has said that he will ask police at Scotland Yard to investigate the possibility that his voicemail was hacked by journalists at The Daily Mirror. The accusations stem from a column written by Piers Morgan for The Daily Mail in 2006 in which ther former Daily Mirror editor seems to admit that his paper hacked into the phone of Heather Mills while she was married to the former Beatle.

Morgan wrote: “At one stage I was played a tape of a message Paul had left for Heather on her mobile phone. It was heartbreaking. The couple had clearly had a tiff, Heather had fled to India, and Paul was pleading with her to come back. He sounded lonely, miserable and desperate, and even sang ‘We Can Work It Out’ into the answerphone”.

McCartney told reporters last week: “I’ll tell you that when I go back after this tour I’m going to talk to the police because I apparently have been hacked. I don’t know much about it, but I do think it’s a horrendous violation of privacy, and I think it’s been going on for a long time and more people than we’ve heard about knew about it”.

Scrutiny of Piers Morgan and his possible involvement in phone hacking has increased in recent weeks. Morgan, now a presenter for CNN in the US, has denied any involvement.

OR READ MORE ABOUT: | |

  • RadioCentre questions Radio 1 and 2 output (again)
  • Dr Fox arrested in relation to alleged sexual offences
  • Judge reviews MP3tunes ruling
  • Former Universal exec jailed for three years
  • Online music video age rating pilot to begin this Friday
  • New year, new Nick Cave solo shows
  •