Legal

Pete Doherty won’t be charged over party death

By | Published on Friday 13 May 2011

Pete Doherty

Pete Doherty will not face charges over the 2006 death of actor Mark Blanco. As previously reported, Blanco died from head injuries fall from a balcony at an east London building, and the family of the 30 year old actor are not only convinced that he was unlawfully killed, but that Doherty and friends were involved.

Following an investigation, the Crown Prosecution Service has said that there is insufficient evidence to charge anyone in connection with the death. Doherty, his minder Johnny Jeannevol and writer Paul Roundhill were involved in a confrontation with Blanco prior to his demise; there is CCTV footage showing Roundhill roughly evicting the actor from his flat twice that evening, and it was shortly after the second incident that Blanco fell to his death. All three men deny any wrongdoing.

Blanco’s family are said to be furious, no doubt especially in light of the findings of their own investigation, given to the police in July of last year, which included evidence from a study by neurobiology expert Professor Richard Wassersug, who believes that Mr Blanco’s head injuries were not consistent with him having jumped.

Jenny Hopkins, from the CPS, said: “None of the evidence is capable of establishing to the required standard that Mr Blanco was thrown or pushed from the balcony or that any other individual was present at the time he fell. We have met the family of Mr Blanco today to explain our decision to them and we would like to extend our sympathies to them on their loss”.



READ MORE ABOUT: |

SIGN UP GO PREMIUM CMU NEWS CMU DAILY CMU DIGEST CMU TRENDS SETLIST