Monday 8 April 2013, 10:47 | By

Shakira hits back at ex-boyfriend lawsuit

Business News Legal Management & Funding

Shakira

Shakira has filed legal papers calling for litigation launched by her former boyfriend Antonio De La Rua, who is seeking a slice of her earnings, to be dismissed.

As previously reported, De La Rua, who split with Shakira after a decade together in 2010, sued last November, claiming that he was due a share of the revenues stemming from the singer’s $300 million deal with Live Nation, an arrangement he claimed he helped secure. His lawsuit also alleged that when the couple first split they agreed he would continue to be involved in Shakira’s professional affairs, and receive a cut of her company’s profits, but that he was subsequently pushed out of the business.

But in her court filing, the singer says that while her ex-boyfriend may have advised on some of her business dealings in an informal capacity, he was never her manager, and had no formal ties to her business affairs.

In fact, the singer’s lawyers say, the only formal agreement between the singer and De La Rua dates from 2006 and specifically says that neither would have a claim on the other’s assets in the case of a split.

De La Rua is yet to respond.

READ MORE ABOUT: |

  • Full Great Escape Convention Schedule now live
  • New Zealand court rules to return assets to Dotcom
  • Kids love cassettes, Record Store Day research claims
  • Bauer Media launches national academy
  • Cambridge no match for the sonic force of UB40
  •