Simon Cowell to take new music show global
By CMU Editorial | Published on Thursday 5 May 2011
Simon Cowell has long harboured hopes of launching a new ‘Top Of The Pops’-style music show, and was at one point even rumoured to be trying to buy the rights to the defunct BBC programme. At a press conference ahead of the ‘X-Factor’ final in December last year, Cowell revealed that he was in talks with ITV about launching such a music show. The station subsequently confirmed that ideas were being discussed for the new programme, and that it could hit screens this year.
However, Cowell has now said that plans have grown in scope somewhat, delaying the project until at least next year. He told BBC Newsbeat: “It would need to be bigger than just one country. That’s what we are thinking about but I don’t think this is for now, it’s for a year down the line”.