Thursday 14 February 2013, 12:39 | By

Writ issued against BBC and Savile estate by disgraced DJ’s alleged victims

Legal Media

Jimmy Savile

The BBC and the estate of the late Jimmy Savile are facing lawsuits relating to 31 of the allegations of abuse that have been made against the former DJ and BBC star.

Following all the revelations that were unleashed last year about the ways Savile, for decades, abused fans, viewers and those being cared for by the charities he supported, Alan Collins of law firm Pannone has told reporters a writ has been issued at the High Court on behalf of 31 alleged victims.

It is thought that over 90 people are now planning legal action since the first of Savile’s former victims went public via an ITV documentary last October. Litigation will be targeted at both the Savile estate, and the institutions at which the abuse took place, which in the first batch of lawsuits is seemingly the BBC.

The cases were put on hold pending the various investigations taking place into Savile’s crimes, and other allegations made against former colleagues and associates of the DJ, many still living, but Pannone said yesterday: “The purpose of issuing this writ is to protect our clients’ position and to seek management directions from the court to ensure the claims are administered as efficiently as possible. At this stage we are unable to expand in detail on the nature of the cases or the allegations that have been made, which range in seriousness from inappropriate behaviour to serious sexual abuse”.

The BBC said it was unable to comment on the writ at this time.

OR READ MORE ABOUT: |

  • Line-up for the July edition of The CMU Podcast: Live announced
  • Live Nation reportedly considering overhaul of management assets
  • Tulisa found guilty over blogger assault
  • Chubby Checker settles with HP over the Chubby Checker
  • Duran Duran issue statement on fanclub lawsuit
  •