ONE DIRECTION CHANGE NAME
As previously reported, One Direction USA said that they formed in 2009, before Simon Cowell first put together his One Direction boyband on the UK version of 'X-Factor' in 2010. They also started selling their album 'The Light' on iTunes in February 2011 which, while after the UK group had been created, preceded the release of their debut album 'Up All Night', in Britain, never mind the US.
The US band added that they were also first to file an application for ownership of the name with the US trademark authorities, and that Cowell's Syco knew this, because the label was told so by the US Trademark Office when it tried to register the mark for itself. Syco put in a counter claim accusing the US band of trying to cash in on the success of the British group.
The British boyband's members were adamant that they wouldn't be changing their name when asked about the matter, and that did always seem like the most likely outcome. Now that the US band have indeed backed down, both parties said in a joint statement earlier this week that they were "pleased with the resolution and wish each other success".
One Direction US's management also posted a statement on the band's Facebook page on Monday, saying: "The California band formerly known as One Direction, whose albums are titled 'The Light' and 'Uncharted Shores', will now be known as Uncharted Shores".
So, there you go, a band with a pretty rubbish name now have an even worse name, but at least they'll stop getting death threats from teenage girls.
EVANESCENCE DRAW FIRE FROM ANONYMOUS AFTER ONLINE PAEDOPHILIA COVER-UP ACCUSATIONS
The loose group of hackers have taken offence at Lee et al based on allegations made in a parliamentary petition submitted by Liberal Democrat MP John Hemming in July. In that document, Hemming claims that Lee and Lurie hired law firm Shillings to force a user of the band's web forum, EvThreads.com, to remain silent about concerns over alleged illegal activity being undertaken by some other forum members, including paedophile and cyber bullying activities, the latter linked to allegations one forum member had encouraged another to consider suicide.
Seemingly the silenced user wanted to report the alleged crimes, but was asked to sign a contract saying they would not, presumably (if true) because of concerns about the impact such allegations would have on the band and their website.
Responding to all this in, a statement at anonnews.org says: "Lee and Lurie have been named in the UK Parliament as using corporate legal threats to hide evidence of child pornography and their own culpability in attempts to procure the suicide of a teenager. The band hired the infamous corporate law firm Schillings to intimidate fans into signing illegal contracts not to report crimes. The band have hidden evidence of child molesters lurking on their official chat board EvThreads.com whilst Ed Vetri has done nothing to stop them".
It continues: "We Anonymous aim to diminish if not eradicate this plague from the internet. For the good of our followers, for the good of mankind, and for our own enjoyment we shall expel from the internet and systematically destroy Amy Lee and Andrew Lurie unless they agree to cease and desist their selfish and corrupt actions ... Evanescence are touring the UK in November and Anons are asked to picket their concerts in full masked gear".
AEG LIVID OVER LEAKED EMAILS, JACKSONS ALLEGEDLY BLAMED
As previously reported, the leaked emails dated mainly from 2009 and showed that AEG execs and various people linked to the then planned Jackson 'This Is It' residency were very concerned about the singer's health, and his ability to undertake a gruelling fifty night stint at The O2. This ran contrary to the live firm's public stance at the time, ie that Jackson was it good health and excited to be undertaking such a major live project. The emails also included AEG Live President Randy Phillips giving a vote of confidence to Conrad Murray, the doctor caring for Jackson at the time, and the medic subsequently convicted for causing the late king of pop's untimely death due to negligent treatment.
It was thought the various emails published by the LA Times were linked to a legal battle between the live firm and Lloyds Of London, the insurance company that insured part of the fated 'This Is It' residency. Lloyds has been fighting AEG in the courts to get out of paying up on the policy attached to the cancelled shows, mainly by arguing that AEG and Jackson failed to declare the various health issues both were allegedly aware of in relation to the singer.
However, Friedman suggests that the emails are actually from sealed evidence attached to the other big outstanding lawsuit relating to MJ's death, Katherine Jackson's action against AEG. She claims that the live music firm should accept liability for the negligent treatment administered by Murray, as the company paid his bills. AEG is arguing that Jackson himself chose Murray, and that the doctor basically reported directly to the singer rather than the 'This Is It' promoter.
Freidman alleges on Showbizz411: "My sources say that the Jacksons, desperate for money after their failed attempt to snatch Katherine Jackson this summer, are looking for sympathy in the court of public opinion. I'm told they selectively pulled a few emails from hundreds and turned them over to the Los Angeles Times in an effort to make AEG Live look guilty of somehow forcing Michael to perform 50 concerts in London. The truth when the totality of the emails is uncovered in court will be quite different".
Whether members of the Jackson family really leaked the emails to the LA Times, or whether AEG believe that to be the case, we don't know, though it does seem likely that the handful of emails made public were deliberately selected to portray AEG as the bad guys. Whether we'll get to see a wider selection of emails when either the Lloyds or Katherine Jackson cases get to court, remains to be seen.
THREE FACE COPYRIGHT TRIBUNAL IN NEW ZEALAND THREE-STRIKES
As previously reported, New Zealand is one of a small number of countries to introduce a so called graduated response or three-strikes system for combating illegal file-sharing - whereby internet service providers are forced to send warning letters to suspected file-sharers when they are identified by rights owners. Those that ignore the warnings then face some kind of penalty, which varies from country to country.
New Zealand was one of the first countries to seriously discuss three-strikes, though it took a while to work out exactly how it would work. But warning letters started to go out last year, and by early summer over 2700 had been sent. The record industry insists that the warning letters alone cut file-sharing, but inevitably some of the cases need to be taken to strike three if the whole programme is to be a long term deterrent.
Word had it that in July some of the cases in New Zealand were close to the third strike, and the latest reports say three customers of Telecom New Zealand will be the first to go through the Copyright Tribunal process set up by the country's three-strikes laws. New Zealand's Justice Ministry has seemingly confirmed that the country's record industry trade body, RIANZ, has instigated that process, though exactly how it will work, and on what sort of timescales, is not yet clear.
As previously reported, some cases under a similar system in France are also heading towards strike three, though the government there looks likely to water down the anti-piracy rules before any file-sharers are actually brought to court. In the UK, where the 2010 Digital Economy Act in theory put in place a graduated response system, no warning letters have as yet been sent and, even if and when they are, no real process for a strike three has been written into British law so far.
PR WOMAN MARIA MILLER MADE CULTURE SECRETARY
Aside from being clueless, Hunt, of course, caused the Coalition government considerable embarrassment via his close ties with the Murdoch empire while he was supposedly providing independent thinking regarding whether or not to allow Rupert Murdoch's News Corp to take complete ownership of BSkyB, in addition to its existing complete ownership of the News International newspapers.
The Sky bid collapsed in the wake of the Hackgate scandal at News International's News Of The World of course, though further revelations of Hunt's incompetence followed. All of which means that, should the government try to resist many of the recommendations due to be made by Brian Leveson regarding new media regulation rules (which they probably will), Hunt is not the man to lead that offensive.
However, political insiders say that Dave Cameron didn't want to push Hunt out of his cabinet, partly due to personal loyalties, partly because the PM himself is tainted by Hack-gate and the BSkyB bid, and basically sacking his culture minister would risk reigniting that scandal. So instead, let's promote the fool to the job of running the National Health Service.
Back at the DCMS, Hunt's replacement is not - as many expected - his junior minister at the culture department, the generally liked Ed Vaizey, but a newcomer to cultural affairs, Maria Miller, moving to the top culture job from a junior role at Work & Pensions. Miller's background is advertising and PR, so not completely removed from the media, sport and content industries she will be working with moving forward, though quite how she will respond to the issues that concern the music industry - which of course vary across the music community - remains to be seen.
Though some have questioned the decision to give Miller the second role of Minister For Women & Equalities. If the creative industries are as important to the British economy as senior ministers keep saying they are (albeit mainly at gatherings of the creative industries), surely they should have a minister able to focus fully on them - especially given that the culture, media and sport industries are already a pretty diverse bunch. Or perhaps its women and equalities that will be given only passing concern under the reshuffled ConDem regime.
Of course Cameron might argue that Miller will not have the wide-ranging Olympics brief of her predecessor, and with capable junior ministers able to handle more routine matters with sectors like the music business (as they did under Hunt), it's not too much of a stretch to give Miller a second area of responsibility. Although Lib Dem culture spokesman Don Foster has expressed concerns about that decision, telling reporters: "She will have to find a way of dealing with the dual responsibility for culture and equalities at a department that may not be big by Whitehall standards, but touches on issues that people care passionately about, from sport to libraries".
DEAP VALLY SIGN TO ISLAND/COMMUNION
FLYING LOTUS TALKS "FUCKED UP" BECK COLLABORATION
Flying Lotus isn't yet sure when the time will be right to release the Beck single, but is certain he'll release his new solo LP, 'Until The Quiet Comes', via Warp on 1 Oct.
If you haven't seen it, or even if you have, here's the video for an Erykah Badu-featuring track taken from it, as is titled 'See Thru To U'.
CARL BARAT'S NEW SOLO LP TO "DISCUSS KETTLING"
The Star also reports Barat is co-writing the as-yet untitled long player with singer-songwriter peers Ed Harcourt and Joseph Arthur. Though Carl doesn't mention rehab escapee Pete Doherty, despite the latter claiming last month the two had a mind to make music together in Paris. Shame, that.
ROLLING STONES CONFIRM GREATEST HITS LP, TWO NEW ANNIVERSARY TRACKS
The collection will also feature the two tracks that Jagger, Richards et al recorded in a Parisian studio last month, 'Gloom And Doom' and 'One Last Shot', which represent their first brand new material since 2005.
'GRRR' will be available from 12 Nov, either as a triple disc 50 track version or a four CD super deluxe 80 track version, the choice is yours. Oh, or a twelve-inch vinyl boxset, if you're in an extravagant mood. All CD sleeves will be of a special three-dimensional variety thanks to a thing scientists are calling '3D Augmented Reality'. Basically, it means Walton Ford's cover art, aka this lip-smacking gorilla, will appear as an animated image (or something) if viewed through 3D glasses or a custom app. Clever, no? No?
KANYE'S GOOD LP GAINS TRACKLISTING, SINGLE ARTWORK
Whilst it features too many guests to mention them all just now, the record would seem to feature surprise cameos from R Kelly and Jay-Z, plus less revelatory GOOD mainstays like Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Common, Pusha-T and John Legend. Odd Future's Frank Ocean, who had been a rumoured to be part of the project, in fact isn't, it seems.
As if to (sort of) corroborate the leaked tracklist, Kanye West yesterday tweeted this image of the cover artwork for first 'Cruel Summer' single 'Clique', whose guest info corresponds to that on the HMV Japan 'exclusive'.
Anyway, here's the tracklisting. Or at least, what HMV Japan thinks is it:
To The World (feat Kanye West & R Kelly)
JAY-Z, RIHANNA TO (MAYBE) PLAY PARALYMPICS CLOSING CEREMONY
Despite neither Rihanna nor Z having been officially added to the ceremony's live music roster, as so far stars Coldplay, the Daily Mirror has quoted a slightly suspect-sounding "show source" as saying: "Jay-Z and Chris Martin are close friends so he helped to get the rapper on board. They are putting together a spectacular set list - one likely to include a duet".
The "source" continues: "The Paralympics has exceeded all expectation and, like the rest of the world, Jay-Z has been blown away by [the athletes'] bravery and athleticism. This will be a concert like no other and a fantastic end to what has been the most successful Paralympics ever".
If we decide to believe Rihanna is playing the show this weekend, then have this other bit of gossip that she might also collaborate live with Coldplay on their 'Mylo Xyloto' duet 'Princess Of China'. The R&B 'diva' did conclude that Chris Martin et al "fuckin rule" after making an on-stage cameo with the band in Paris over the weekend, so this isn't perhaps that ridiculous a rumour. Unlike that thing Ed Sheeran said about Stephane Grappelli.
THE KILLERS TO SLAY ARENA DATES
26 Oct: Glasgow, SECC
back to top
CHARLI XCX ADDS SHOWS
Her CMU approved first official single 'You're The One', meanwhile, is out 16 Sep.
And the above mentioned dates are:
5 Nov: Leeds, Nation of Shopkeepers
SUSANNE SUNDFØR BOOKS COMMUNION CONCERT
She'll play the 7 Oct edition of Communion Records' famed night at Notting Hill Arts Club, this being a timely move to promote her forthcoming LP 'The Silicone Veil', which is out on 15 Oct. Buy your tickets for that right here.
back to top
LUCY ROSE TO TOUR
She'll promote the above by means of a lengthy live jaunt, details of which are as here listed:
20 Oct: Oxford, East Oxford Centre
ERA SAYS RECORD RELEASES SHOULD BE BETTER SPREAD
The bunching of big artist releases in the final four months of the year is a pain for high street retailers in particular, who rely on customers coming in to buy one specific album, and then buying a load of other stuff while they are there. If three big albums are released in one week, then that's only one stint of impulse buying, not three. The retailers argue that the labels also lose out, because when multiple major artists all release records in the same week, one or two of those artists will probably sell fewer units as a result.
Speaking to the BBC, Kim Bayley of the Entertainment Retailers Association said: "Cramming all the key releases in the fourth quarter is problematic both for consumers and retailers. The first half of 2012 has seen one of the weakest release schedules retailers can remember in both music and video games. It is very difficult for retailers to sustain their year-round investment in staff and rent when sales are crammed into such a short window".
Responding, Universal Music's Brian Rose said: "August is not a great month to release a big new record because most people aren't buying music at that point. [But] we don't put all our hopes into an autumn release period. We are very much a 52-weeks-of-the-year business, though there are solid business reasons to release a lot of them in the autumn. In December we'll sell 20% of all the albums we'll sell in a year, so it's still a big opportunity".
Although the bunching of big record releases is nothing new - and nor is retailers moaning about it - a report in The Independent earlier this summer quoted retailers as saying the tendency was getting worse. A particularly disappointing August in terms of record sales will only have added to concerns in the retail space.
NOKIA LAUNCHES FREE STREAMING SERVICE IN US
Calling itself Nokia Music, the services also launches with over 150 playlists, which are, according to the press release, "curated and kept up to date by an expert team of US-based musicologists". Users can also create their own playlists, cache playlists for offline listening, locate gigs nearby and buy MP3s via the service - though Nokia is not specific about the size of its catalogue beyond having "millions of songs".
This is not, of course, Nokia's first attempt to launch a digital music service. In 2008 it launched Comes With Music, an all-you-can-eat download service which proved pretty unpopular (not least because it locked all downloads to the handset the year long subscription came with). It was closed in most territories at the beginning of last year.
Announcing the new service yesterday, Nokia's VP of Entertainment, Jyrki Rosenberg said: "The USA is the most vibrant and competitive digital music market in the world - by a wide margin. We have worked extra hard to ensure our service meets the expectations of the demanding, active and inspired music fans in the USA. I would like to challenge everyone to try Nokia Music and see just how easy and enjoyable the service is to use".
BAUER PROFITS DOWN
The publishing group also saw an income of £3.1 million from its stake in the Box TV company, the joint venture with Channel 4 that operates various music television services, most using other Bauer or Channel 4 brands.
These figures were released as the Hamburg-based media firm expanded again by acquiring Australian magazine company ACP, which, among other things, publishes the Aussie editions of Rolling Stone, Empire and Zoo.
DEAR SIRS, GRIMES IS A PRODUCER
She wrote: "I am a producer. I find it insulting when guys constantly ask to produce for me. I think I do my job fine, thanks".
In which case, maybe she should start offering her services to some other artists, because, according to the BBC, she's a very rare breed.